Monday, May 30, 2016

Sunday, May 29, 2016

-Today began at 2:30 a.m.  We really didn't have to get up until 3:00 a.m. but since we really weren't sleeping (since we were afraid we would oversleep) we just got up and packed up to leave. We needed to walk a few blocks to catch a bus at 4:00 a.m. which was taking us to the airport. Our flight left London at 6:50 a.m. so we needed to arrive at the airport by 4:50 a.m. The only good thing about early flights is that there is no traffic and you get through security quickly, but then you sit and wait. Such is the nature of travel! You bite the bullet and go with it! So, we had a relaxing breakfast at Heathrow airport. 🍲
-the first flight we took was from Heathrow to Brussels. It was a very nice light.....I even slept a little....imagine that!! So when we arrived in Brussels we went through a lot of security again, but since we had a 2 1/2 hours layover, we decided to try to sleep....so when in an airport, do as the travelers do, lay down and sleep! So that is exactly what I did. I found two empty seats, laid my head on my bag, covered myself with a coat, and fell fast asleep! 😴 Before boarding our next flight to Brussels, Belgium, we grabbed a bite of lunch. We almost missed our final flight to though, since they changed gates on us and we didn't know it. Thankfully, we found out with 10 minutes to spare so off we went in a full sprint to the appropriate gate and as I got close I was yelling to the gate attendant that we needed to be on that flight to Bilbao. I (Alice) arrived at the gate ahead of Darrel. 👍 (Are you surprised?) We had to be sure they would hold the flight for us!! No cliff hangar here....we made it in time!! 😜
-our final flight was very nice. I didn't sleep this time.....too excited about who was waiting for us at the other end! We were surprised and excited to see Jason, Cooper, Itsaso and her mom and dad waiting to greet us! It was a tearful reunion!! Can't believe we were finally here!
-we made arrangements to spend Saturday with Itsaso's family, dropped Itsaso off back at her school and then went to Orio, where the rest of Jason's family and their group of friends were having an afternoon get together. It was a wonderful way for us to meet all their friends and their kids' friends as well. I guess you could call this their quadrilla, the Basque word for lifelong close group of friends. We ate with them..... I even tried out a few of the Basque words that I know (they laughed 😊, but I thought I was doing pretty good!!)  Give me 2 more weeks and I should be fluent!! 🤓
-we left the gathering at about 8 p.m. to get the kids ready for school the next day. It was a very long but extremely good day! Not only have we arrived safely and finally gathered together with our loved ones, but how many times do you get to eat your 3 meals in three different countries all in ONE day?!  👍  Now that is a first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment